The 40’s are considered an important decade where one should take more precautions with regard to their health and wellness. If getting healthy is your goal, you will need to make many healthy lifestyle choices at this age to prevent many illnesses from occurring, which could affect you in your later life. Diabetes, heart attack and cancer are three of the deadly diseases that would try to rear their ugly heads during this age. This article will highlight some of the major health matters of the over 40 age category.
1. Blood Glucose – Diabetes is a significant health matters for over 40’s in the U.S. The risk for type-2 diabetes increases with age, and it is the most common form of diabetes in the country. The Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) reveals that more than 26 million of people in the U.S. have diabetes. There is another 15% of people between the ages of 40 and 60, who are having diabetes but are not diagnosed or they don’t know about the illness.
2. Blood Pressure and Cholesterol – These illnesses would slowly creep into a
person when he or she reaches 40 years of age. These conditions would increase the risk of heart attack and stroke of a person. Once you reach the age of 40, it is extremely important to keep these condition within healthy levels to prevent serious problems concerning the heart. Follow your healthcare provider’s advice to the letter in monitoring and controlling these conditions. Make the necessary lifestyle changes that are needed to keep these conditions at bay before it is too late.
3. Osteoporosis – You would have maximum bone density and strength until you reach the early 40’s. Once you reach this milestone, bone density and strength begin to decrease on a gradual basis. This would make you prone to conditions such as osteoporosis. This makes it easier for your bones to become fractured even with the smallest risk. Women face this problem more severely after menopause in their mid 40’s. A healthy diet as well as weight training exercises such as strength training can help in decreasing your risk of getting osteoporosis.
4. Body Mass Index or BMI – People would gradually put-on weight with aging. Even you try to eat healthy and exercise regularly, your BMI would be quite difficult to be maintained after you have reached the 40’s. Consulting your healthcare provider and getting advice on how to maintain the BMI after 40 would be the best option in this regard. The healthcare provider will pay close attention to the weight distribution in your body, which compares your hip size to your waist size, and it is used to determine your risk for weight related health matters after 40 years.
5. Depression – Changes in mood are a normal part of our lives. But mood swings would occur on a more frequent basis once you have passed 40 years. Loss of interest and energy, anxiety, not being able to experience pleasure, withdrawn from usual interactions and activities and apathy towards important matters could be more common once you reach the age of 40. This would be even more severe in women experiencing menopause in their mid 40’s. Consult your healthcare provider if these conditions linger for longer periods of time.
6. Sexual Health – This is an important part of any person’s heath once he or she has reached the age of 40. Female sexual dysfunctions, erectile dysfunctions and sexually transmitted diseases are some of the most common matters in this regard. Occasional impotency would affect more than 60% of men who are between the ages of 40 and 47. Even though the average age of menopause is around 47-52, most women will start to experience symptoms of perimenopause such as irritability and hot flashes during the mid 40’s.
7. Changes in Vision and Hearing Loss – These are common problems for people who are in their 40’s. You may find that you require glasses for reading for the first time in your life. Bifocal lenses which are defined for reading and to see a distance more clearly would be required by most people when they reach the age of 40. The sense of taste and smell may also weaken a little bit compared to what it was when you were much younger.
8. Skin Issues – Age spots, sun damage, adult acne and wrinkles are some of the most common skin problems affecting the over 40 population. In order to maintain a healthy skin, you would require to consult a qualified dermatologist in your area. A broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 would do fine whenever you go out in the sun. This would help to prevent skin cancer, which is one of the common cancers in the U.S.
The above mentioned are some of the most important health matters affecting people over 40 years. If you want to know how to stay young then adhering to the advice provided in this article will help you begin to uncover over 40 health secrets to keep the spark alive and burning brightly.